6 Point Checklist For Brief Psychotherapy
Brief psychotherapy refers to time-limited work, whether that means 4 sessions or 20 sessions. I don’t usually do brief psychotherapy but I know that many people are interested in it so, here is a bit of a checklist to help you decide whether brief therapy is right for you.
The more you answer ‘yes’, the more you are a candidate for time-limited treatment.
1. Is the problem short term rather than chronic?
2. Do you have limited resources, i.e. time and/or money? (hmmm, who doesn’t?)
3. Can you stay narrowly and clearly focused on 1 problem?
4. Would you prefer a problem-solving approach rather than a more in-depth therapy?
5. Are you in relatively good psychological shape?
6. Do you like a lot of activity on the part of your therapist?
This isn’t very scientific but it can serve as an initial guide.