Fifty Million Anxious People In The U.S.
50,000,000. Yes, fifty million people in the US suffer from a form of anxiety each year. Anxiety is the # 1 disorder among women and #2 for men (alcohol and drugs are # 1 for guys). Why is it so prevalent?
Here are some possible answers about the epidemic nature of anxiety disorders:
1. Anxiety is learned in families – was your mother anxious?
2. Some people are probably predisposed to anxiety disorders.
3. Anxiety may be masking depression.
4. Anxiety arises from an accumulation of stress over time
On a global scale………..
1. Our society pounds us with fear and stress; it feels out of control
2. Things change fast and we have little time to adjust to change, especially technological change
3. We worry about the future of our lives and planet
4. People are creating their own meaning because we are bombarded with so many disparate views
Want to change? My suggestion is to work with a therapist and begin reading Edmund Bourne’s book.